Friday, February 25, 2011

Adventures in Farmland

Last weekend my father-in-law (Pops) was out of town. When he goes out, we usually take care of the animals he has on his property (aka- 'the farm'). As a city girl, I am fascinated with all the "farm stuff". I love watching the vegetables get bigger and the flowers bloom. I really love the animals though. Last summer, Pops decided to raise chickens. So he built a coop and got about 6 chickens to lay eggs for food. We call them "the girls".
Anyway, while Pops was out of town, we watched after the chickens. It wasn't difficult as winter tends to make chickens stay indoors. All I had to do was go to the farm and make sure they were still alive and gather the eggs they had laid. I felt so wholesome...very "Little House"!!


The girls were safe in their coop. In order to keep in the heat, there is thick, plastic sheeting over the doors. This makes for blurry pictures, but I don't think the chickens mind!! Here is one of the girls on the roosting pole.

Once the chickens heard me coming, they began to squawk and came over to the door looking for some handouts. The girls have quickly discovered that humans mean food. Here they are begging for treats (they didn't get any as I was fresh out of grubs and bugs).



here are the fresh eggs!!

this is the girls' home (coop). It's the fanciest one I have ever seen (ok, i've only seen two, but this is definitely the best!)

1 comment:

  1. haha ok this is a totally awesome post bc a) you call yourself a city girl and a) you refer to little house :D hugs!! -ashley

    ReplyDelete